Today we would add one word to the famous quote above: change. In days gone by, organisations enjoyed
long periods of equilibrium punctuated by occasional change. Today it is the reverse: Constant change is
punctuated by seemingly rare periods of equilibrium. Organisations that succeed in this environment have
leaders who regard leading change as an everyday aspect of their work. They stay ahead of the curve by
anticipating, embracing, and orchestrating change to generate the necessary results.
Those who do this well are able to rewire themselves and their organisations to keep up, cope, and
adapt—no mean feat, because research shows that only 20 percent of us have the high levels of personal
adaptability required to rapidly and effectively adjust and respond to ongoing ambiguity and change.
Forum’s research shows that the leaders who successfully guide their organisation through today’s dynamic
environment share three characteristics:
- They have a much higher capacity for sustained high performance in turbulent conditions. This
adaptability sets the tone for their organisation, increasing its agility.
- They know how to drive change and accelerate the impact of new strategies, initiatives, and priorities.
- They understand and focus on managing the dynamics of commitment.
Leading Change helps leaders respond adaptively to ongoing change and accelerate the results of change
initiatives in their organisations.
Leading Change contains three modules:
- Build Adaptability features an assessment of personal adaptability and the impact of adaptability on
participants’ change initiative and their management of ongoing change.
- Drive Change Initiatives features a fast-paced simulation that provides a visceral experience of change
and the leadership actions that accelerate or inhibit planned change; a two-part “change dashboard” that
includes a change-phase diagnostic tool and a diagnostic of the risk factors shown by research to
determine the success or failure of change initiatives; and tactics for moving effectively through each
phase and mitigating risk in each phase.
- Build Commitment features four leadership techniques (empathy, reframing, imaging, and authentic
communication) that are key to gaining and maintaining commitment, and shows participants how to
apply these techniques to their change initiatives.
Throughout the session, participants diagnose and plan ways to accelerate an actual change initiative in
which they are involved, receive feedback on their change leadership skills and strategies, and explore best-
practice examples from multiple industries. They leave the session with a complete, enhanced Change
Leadership Action Plan.
The audience for Leading Change is mid-level and senior leaders in any function or industry.
As a result of participating in Leading Change, leaders will be able to:
- Improve their capacity for sustained high performance under conditions of uncertainty, ambiguity, and
- Develop and maintain a broad base of commitment and support for new strategies, initiatives, and
- Orchestrate change to accelerate business results
- Improve their personal ability to build commitment to change
- Classroom: 2 days